We are looking for mentors, instructors, and positive role models who want to help youth learn how to create and innovate with today’s technology in community-based, maker-centred environments. We are looking to add individuals who demonstrate exceptional teamwork skills and are willing to take initiative to build memorable learning experiences for youth.
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) Mentors are caring, creative, energetic, responsible, tech-savvy, leaders who are passionate about helping youth learn new digital skills, and supporting education & community development. If you are looking to make a difference and help inspire the next generation of inventors and problem-solvers, this just might be the career-building opportunity you’ve been looking for!
About Brilliant Labs
Established in 2014, Brilliant Labs is an Atlantic Canada-based charity providing creative opportunities for youth to learn new coding and digital skills in schools and communities throughout Atlantic Canada. We provide hands-on, experiential learning opportunities that combine innovation and technology, with a problem solving and sustainably responsible entrepreneurial spirit.
Our Mission & Vision
To work with young people, educators, and community leaders to develop creativity, innovation, digital skills, and a socially responsible entrepreneurial mindset. With your help and our team, we want to provide every educator and youth in Atlantic Canada, and beyond, with the opportunity to develop the necessary coding and digital skills required to create, innovate and inspire a future of sustainable development and growth throughout communities here at home and beyond!
Role & Responsibilities include:
- Learning about innovations, technology and entrepreneurship to engage and inspire youth and foster their social and educational development: communication, creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving, collaboration and digital skills.
- Provide youth with hands-on, experiential, STEAM-based, maker education and skill-building activities in collaboration with community partners and with support from the Brilliant Labs team.
- Learning and teaching youth how to code and develop their digital skills, 3D printing, robotics, micro-controllers, computer-aided animation and design (CAD), digital audio and video recording and editing, virtual reality, etc.
- Learning about and working with a variety of technologies and tools.
- Navigating complex situations/people dynamics; engaging/motivating people; and building strong connections/relationships to inspire youth.
- Thriving in a peer-led, shared learning environment driven by fun, exploration and self-fulfillment/empowerment.
- Supporting the achievement of program goals/outcomes.
- Working with Supervisors to collect daily attendance, data, reporting, etc.
- Other relevant duties as required.
- Training is provided.
- Studying early childhood education, social work, computer science, IT, technology or programming, engineering, science, social studies, or marketing and communications. We will provide training on how to use equipment, but you must have an interest in working with technology, youth, and making cool things.
- Experience working with children and youth is an asset but training is provided.
- Experience managing and/or facilitating projects/programs.
- Professional, responsible, and flexible attitude with staff, volunteers, supporters, and youth participants.
- Excellent communication skills. Comfortable leading a small group activity with youth in person or online.
- Highly creative self-starter, with an ability to engage with people from all walks of life.
- Keen attention to detail and high standards for the work you produce.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Computer proficiency with google drive and google apps (sheets, docs, slides), e-mail, social media platforms, and internet research.
- Ability to actively provide feedback and ideas on how to solve problems and take leadership of a project.
- Team player who is happy to pitch in and help out as required.
More About This Opportunity:
The After School and Community STEAM Mentor position is a part-time position requiring availability for afterschool programs and some weekends.
This position is for 10 hours a week for 10 weeks (April 11th, 2022 – June 17th, 2022). The pay rate is $14.00 per hour.
There is the possibility of extending this position to support our 2022 summer camps at 35 hours per week. This position could provide a total of 39 weeks of employment per year including summer camp support.
Email a cover letter and resume to Amanda Sherman at email@example.com
Brilliant Labs is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.